There are a number of widely accepted criteria which make a patient suitable for this operation:
- Weight greater than 45kg above the ideal body weight for sex, and height.
- BMI greater than 35 by itself or greater than 30 if there is an associated obesity illness, such as diabetes, hypertension, or sleep apnoea. Click here to calculate your BMI
- Reasonable attempts at other weight loss techniques
- Age 18-65
- No intellectual disability or drug dependency problems
- A capacity to understand the risks and commitment associated with the surgery
- Pregnancy not anticipated in the first two years following surgery
There is considerable flexibility in these guidelines. Patients as young as 15 have been offered surgery. Sometimes a lower BMI between 30-35 is accepted if co-morbidities exist such as hypertension, diabetes, depression, and polycystic ovary syndrome or if you have been heavier, lost weight and now feel you are regaining the weight.